I was putting away laundry today and decided to dump all the socks out of our drawers and organize. I keep the athletic socks in one drawer and casual, trouser socks in another for both my husband and I, so a total of four drawers. Clearly we have too many socks! And I purged these drawers not all that long ago… As I was matching the socks up, I had this brilliant idea. No, I’m quite sure it came from God! But, here it is, folks:
For a $0 investment Sock Organizer:
- Cut a cereal box in half vertically & tape ends so it forms a tray, of sorts.
- Depending on the size of your drawer, you may have to modify the length of the box. Fortunately, mine fit perfectly.
- I went around the middle of the “tray” once with tape for extra reinforcement.
- If you wanted to really get creative, you could cover the “tray” with decorative contact paper.
- Smile! You just saved yourself about $20! That’s $20 per drawer. I revamped 4 drawers, which would be $80! That would be insane to spend that much and my dresser drawers are odd sized, so there would be no guarantee of the fit.
These are my casual, trouser socks. One benefit of storing my socks this way: The dark green socks that I sometimes confuse with black are stored in the front, far away from the black socks, never to be confused again! Anyone else ever do that? I’m not color blind. It tends to be dark in our bedroom. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! 😉
These are my husband’s work socks. He can easily grab a pair this way.
See how our drawer is angled a bit. My homemade organizer fit just fine, thankfully! They even have bamboo drawer organizers out there. I’m sorry, but no one else is going to see my sock drawer but me. I am just not that high maintenance! Bigger fish to fry here. I’m all about finding creative solutions to avoid spending money needlessly. Spend it where it counts!
Yes, I had too many socks! I still have about 20 pairs of athletic socks and 24 pairs of casual socks! Is that not crazy?! I can’t say I’ve ever counted my socks before, but as I loaded them into the trays I did and was amazed! I can only wear one pair at a time after all, and I do laundry at least once a week, so parting with the above seems only reasonable.
* I also overhauled my “unmentionables” drawer, turning them all vertically and into two rows. I have seen this done and wasn’t sure I would care for it. Yes, I’m a creature of habit. So, I thought that I would turn them all vertically and see how I liked it. If I didn’t, then I would just stack them like I usually do. I absolutely love the new system! I can tell at a glance where a particular color/style is and it’s just easier than rifling through a stack. Try it! You might like it too.
So … What do you all think about my sock drawer overhaul?? Does it sound like something that may work for you?
The price is right! 🙂